North Fork Stanislaus... anyone seen any trout lately?!!?!!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

North Fork Stanislaus... anyone seen any trout lately?!!?!!

Postby leesahagun » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:27 pm

Spent a week up in Hells Kitchen and fished up and downstream from Wolfeboro. Tried out the Yamame for the first time, and enjoyed the experience tremendously, yet, no fish. No worries, we had several rods of varying rigs in the river, and I wasn't the only one who was skunked. We tried everything from grasshoppers and nightcrawlers to rapallas, kastmasters, and panther martins. Nothing but fingerlings and their slightly larger bretheren. Where are the fish? We were in the same spot in the beginning of June, and water flow was huge, 4 feet higher than last week. We're thinking the fish all got flushed to the reservoirs.

Anyone know which Sierra river is hot right now? Where are all the fish.
leesahagun

Re: North Fork Stanislaus... anyone seen any trout lately?!!?!!

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Just returned from the Tuolumne area (HWY 120 W of Yosemite) tried a couple of streams and fish were definitely biting there.
All you need is any tenkara fly :)
Last week I stopped at the So. Fork of American near Placerville. That is good too.
It seems like there are plenty of options. Just don't overthink the fly selection ;)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience