Tenkara on the Delaware

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara on the Delaware

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:32 am

I took Tenkara USA's biggest rod out on the West Branch of New York State's biggest trout stream, the Delaware River. A brief report and a couple of photos can be found on my blog, The Fly Line. I caught lots of trout, mostly small ones, and lost three decent ones. I think I would have landed one of the larger ones if I'd been using a shorter line. The Amago can lay out a nice long cast and I gave in to the temptation to fish four feet longer than the rod to cover more of the wide river, but this fish required netting and I couldn't pull it into the net. The Delaware is better suited to rod & reel fishing. Still, the Amago performed beautifully and was a delight to fish.

I used 14 feet of 3.5 level line, plus two feet of 5X and two feet of 6X most of the time. I got the hang of casting the light line pretty well, but back home in the yard I cast 12 feet of the old pink 15-pound level line and liked that better. I didn't care for the braided line on the Amago.

For you folks in the northeast, which is enduring a miserably hot and dry summer, the West Branch of the Delaware and presumably the upper East Branch are in good shape with lots of fish. There will probably be more fish after this week -- refugees from the main stem and lower ends of the branches, which will be cooking in 100-degree heat.
Morgan

Re: Tenkara on the Delaware

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for the report, Morgan.
And, especially thanks for bringing attention to the gas spill mentioned in your blog: http://theflyline.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/dont-trust-the-fossil-fuel-industry/
I had not heard about that, and this is the type of thing that makes me cringe, just like the mountain top coal mining in Virginia.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Tenkara on the Delaware

Postby Morgan » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:15 pm

Daniel, the natural gas rush is a very big concern for people in New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Ohio. There's a lot of money to be made, and there's also the potential for really serious environmental damage. There's an excellent documentary on HBO right now (available on demand I believe) called Gasland that explores it.

On a much happier note, the Amago is awesome!
Morgan

Return to Your Tenkara Experience