Catfish on a fly?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Catfish on a fly?

Postby dstevens_1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 am

I live and fish in warm water country, do my fly fishing is for Bluegill, Bass, etc.

I normally fish poppers or frogs. Today I was using a popper with a hares ear dropper.

First fish was, of all things, a catfish. I've never caught one on a fly, but they will generally eat just about anything. Ended up catching two catfish and one Bluegill.
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
dstevens_1

Re: Catfish on a fly?

Postby dwalker » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 pm

I have never caught a catfish fishing a fly with a tenkara rod. But I have a friend in Tenn. who tells me he has caught several catfish over the years while tenkara fishing.

People do catch unexpected species from time to time while tenkara fishing.
A spotted gar.

https://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4659
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dstevens_1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Caught a small spotted gar on a Bully's Bluegill Spider [emoji2764] several years ago. Conventional fly rod though. I hadn't heard of Tenkara at that time.

dstevens_1

Postby dstevens_1 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Since that first one, I have caught several more on flies - wooly bugger, bream buster and bead head nymph.

We have some really large brown May flies that are emerging on the pond. I am thinking that the catfish are grabbing the nymphs as they head toward the surface before emerging into adult files.

It's fun to watch the adult flies as they float along and then, disappear in a swirl.

dstevens_1

Return to Your Tenkara Experience