Unsuccessful So Far... Help!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Unsuccessful So Far... Help!

Postby dmn826 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to Tenkara and so far, I've only hooked one trout (didn't land it, as I was too excited and it was my first night out). I've hit some hot spots on the Eagle River and Colorado River and some medium-small creeks that I know hold quite a few brookies (I used to work for my local aquatic biologist). I have tried the Tenkara flies that came with the rod, an assortment of dry flies, midges... ordered some tungsten bead rainbow warrior midge nymphs on Amazon that will be here today.

I wonder if it's my presentation. I've watched the videos over and over and feel like I've been casting correctly. My tippet is about 4 ft long. I've mostly been out at sundown in holes where trout were rising. Our streams and rivers get a lot of pressure, so they may just be picky. At one point, a brown was in the hole I was next to and I held my tippet between my fingers while dangling my wet fly right in front of him with no interest! :lol: :roll:

What would you try for autumn mid-sized high mountain streams in Colorado? I'm primarily fishing in Eagle County. Maybe Boulder tomorrow, depending on how my conference goes. I'll be reaching out to local guides but wanted some insight from all the Tenkara enthusiasts here.

All the best,
dmn826

Re: Unsuccessful So Far... Help!

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am

Have you tried all these main techniques?

https://youtu.be/ItgHMloFezs

I normally start with a size 12 non weighted Sakasa Kebari and use all these techniques and move move move up or downstream if they are not taking.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Rob Ruff » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:27 pm

MOVEMENT. Movement is a big factor when fishing tenkara due to the relatively short line. You may already know this but trout can sense movement quite easily in low, clear water. Many times we don't realize how fast we are moving along a stream and this can suppress the fish to the point that they won't take anything until the area is clear. So if you think you are already moving slow, move even slower especially when approaching a pool. Move about 4 inches per second as you make your approach. Sounds tedious but it will increase your chances. Also on hooksets, don't set the hook like you were using a spinning rod. Merely lifting the rod and keeping the line tight will cause the fish to almost always hook itself. Good luck. Once you catch one the rest is easy.
Rob Ruff

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:48 am

Have you tried a Dry/Dropper rig?

I've used it with great success. I use a size 12 Dry Fly (Elk Hair Caddis) and a size 12 - 14 Bead Head Nymph (Pheasant Tail). Note, the bead is not Tungsten, but Brass.

When the strike to the nymph occurs, the dry fly will simply disappear and often a raised rod tip will result in a solidly hooked trout. The dry fly will take trout also.

Vinny

Take a look at the following picture

Dry_Wet_Tandem_Rig.jpg
Vince_villavivencio

Postby dpnoll » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Hire a guide for a day. Look up the guides under "Tenkara Guide Network" and contact the one nearest you. It will be a much faster way to learn.
dpnoll

Postby Dilianaivo_1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:34 am

Don't get discouraged. Tenkara is an excellent way to fish in Colorado (or California, where I live). In my opinion size 12 tenkara fly is a bit large. I almost exclusively use the classic partridge hackle pattern tied in orange, green and yellow (size 14 and 18). For example, earlier this year I was exploring a "fishy" looking spot on the Frying Pan river near Basalt, Colorado. My fly was size 14 partridge and green (the top fly on the picture)
flies.jpg
flies.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 3463 times

After several good drifts and no takes I had to reconsider. The spot was quite shady and not shallow. So I switched to a brighter partridge and orange with gold rib (the bottom fly on the picture) and added a small split shot. Drifted the new set up and this beauty took the fly.
IMG-7122.JPG
IMG-7122.JPG (128.41 KiB) Viewed 3463 times

Moments like this make us think we know what we are doing, which is not necessarily the case. However, it is OK to experiment.
Easy mends
Dilianaivo_1

Postby dmn826 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:04 am

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:Have you tried all these main techniques?

https://youtu.be/ItgHMloFezs

I normally start with a size 12 non weighted Sakasa Kebari and use all these techniques and move move move up or downstream if they are not taking.

TJ

Thank you, TJ! I forgot about my post & was getting the itch to fish, so I just logged in and saw the responses. I'll review the videos more and report back when I make it out.
dmn826

Postby dmn826 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:19 am

dpnoll wrote:Hire a guide for a day. Look up the guides under "Tenkara Guide Network" and contact the one nearest you. It will be a much faster way to learn.

I've considered it! I might ask my local shop to do a Tenkara clinic for locals. Their guided service is $500 per day, a bit too steep for me.
dmn826

Postby dpnoll » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 am

Yeah, that's pretty steep. You might want to try either Allen Seagraves, Paul Vertrees or Graham Moran. None are that expensive and they are really good. If it is still too high explain your situation and try to negotiate the price. Good luck.
dpnoll

Return to Your Tenkara Experience