History made...again

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

History made...again

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 am

I believe this is the first mullet caught using Tenkara. These salt water fish swim 150 miles from the ocean, up the Pee Dee river in SC and NC to the dam. They feed on freshwater mussels that die off from the warming water. You'll notice the white "mussel fly" in one of the mullet's mouth. Very hard fighting fish and lots of fun on my Amago.

rvrgzr

Re: History made...again

Postby dwalker » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 am

Till your post I thought mullet were only caught with nets. At least that is what I recall being told years ago down on the Crystal Coast. A google search this morning lead me to an article on bigbendsportsman , wherein they verified that very few folks mullet fish with hook and line. Though it was more common way to catch them in years past. Nice fish.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby rvrgzr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:23 am

You may be interested in this article: http://www.esouthernoutdoors.com/Archiv ... /index.htm

Or Google: Southern Outdoors Magazine, go to the bottom to "Archives" and click on "Mullet on the Fly".

Sure, mullet have been caught with bread balls, small worms, globs of algae, etc., but catching one on a fly is difficult. Lefty Kreh told me it took him a week to finally get a mullet to grab his "algae fly".
rvrgzr

Postby blatt1970 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 am

:mrgreen:
Rvrgzr, congratulations!
I've to say i'm envious about you.
I live by the ocean and could never have a hook up ont this fish!
Thus i consider them as real chalenge to go after!
blatt1970

Postby jburge » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

rvrgzr,

Congrats! To take a mullet on the fly is amazing--and Tenkara to boot. As a boy who threw castnets on the Gulf coast, I used to believe the ONLY way to fish for mullet was with a net. Thanks for proving otherwise :-) FWIW, some of the best mullet sandwiches to be had are near Pensacola, FL. Thanks again!

John
jburge

Return to Your Tenkara Experience