First Time Fishing Tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Time Fishing Tenkara

Postby rsetina » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:09 am

Bill's a great guy, always inviting and never turning down anyone who wants to fish the surf in Mailbu across from his house and I didn't think he was a small creek fisherman. I was surprised when he asked if he could go with us the next time we headed to our local creek. If a 200 mile round trip is considered a local creek.

I was worried about what he would think of our little creek but he later said he was pleasantly surprised that the creek had better water and pools than he thought it would have had. After fishing all day with his western fly rod I was worried he get skunked and throughout the day I offered my Iwana to him to give it a try. I'd been picking up fish in all the pools we stopped at and he would get strikes without any hookups.

Sherry finally told Bill he needed to try the Tenkara rod al least once before we headed back the 3 miles to the car and I have a feeling he couldn't turn down Sherry's charming push to try out the Iwana. He took the rod and after a few casts got the hang of how it felt and was putting the fly right where he wanted it. Several casts later he had his first fish on a Tenkara rod. After a big smile he said he was surprised at how easy it was to feel a fish strike due to the sensitive tip.

His words:

"I have to say, that Tenkara rod is the perfect instrument for little creeks. In the short time I fished it, the possibilities were very apparent. Cool rod!"

I don't know if he's a convert but I'm sure he enjoyed fishing the Iwana.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: First Time Fishing Tenkara

Postby Softouch333 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks for the story and photos, Rick. I convinced a old fishing buddy to try the tenkara rod a few weeks ago, too. He has been fly fishing probably 40 years, guided, and knows a lot of Alaska besides his home waters. He is very attached to his western style fishing. He finally gave in and said, "Ok let me try that cheatin' stick of yours."

He asked how to cast it and I told him it was intuitive. Just give it a swing.

Well, his first cast was a bit overpowered, like most of us who are used to western rods. So when it piled up a little on him, he immediately pulled back into another back cast and...I kid you not... fish on!!!

What could he say after that?
Softouch333

Postby rsetina » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Softouch333 wrote:Thanks for the story and photos, Rick. I convinced a old fishing buddy to try the tenkara rod a few weeks ago, too. He has been fly fishing probably 40 years, guided, and knows a lot of Alaska besides his home waters. He is very attached to his western style fishing. He finally gave in and said, "Ok let me try that cheatin' stick of yours."

He asked how to cast it and I told him it was intuitive. Just give it a swing.

Well, his first cast was a bit overpowered, like most of us who are used to western rods. So when it piled up a little on him, he immediately pulled back into another back cast and...I kid you not... fish on!!!

What could he say after that?

How cool is that? Bill hadn't caught a fish all day til he used the Iwana. If people would just give it a try and get over the line and reel thing...... You know what I mean.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:19 pm

It's just so awesome to read those stories, and it's amazing how often they repeat.
This week I went fishing with some veterans, a couple of whom had little mobility of one arm. The main guy I was going to work with, Angel, has actually been fly fishing for about 3 years and he's really good with the reel (he has a special reel, and even a special device to strip line when he needs more), so he's got it dialed and doesn't "need" tenkara. I also didn't want to push it on him because he's got it down pretty well.
However, when we started walking around we spotted a fish. His line was on the reel and fly on the guide, so it would take a minute to be able to cast and the fish would be gone. I had the tenkara rod in hand and ready to go. I gave him the rod, he cast the fly, not a perfect cast but enough to get the attention of the fish. BAM, fish on! It was a good size fish and his first on tenkara. He fought it and landed it pretty quickly.
"That was so much fun. I thought the rod was going to break. It was great!", his words.
As we kept walking he kept the tenkara rod in hand and whenever there was a good spot he'd cast and caught a few more fish. Most of them were pretty small, but he really had fun with it.

Angel with a fish on, first cast:

The fish, and the smile:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:31 pm

That's awesome Daniel. The smile on his face says everything. It's great of you to take the time and help out our veterans like that and I'm sure they appreciate it too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience