Large Rainbow with Ayu Rod

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Large Rainbow with Ayu Rod

Postby bwhite » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:44 pm

Here's a picture of a 25 inch rainbow (about 6lbs.) I caught on the Frying Pan River in Colorado with my AYU 6:4 rod. I used a level line of my own design with a size 20 tungsten head nymph. I wasn't expecting a fish of this size and was lucky to land it with this gear and a 6X tippet.
IMGP0392(4)-1.jpg
IMGP0392(4)-1.jpg (160.86 KiB) Viewed 13295 times
bwhite

Re: Large Rainbow with Ayu Rod

Postby dwalker » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow, nice fish. :o

I am new to fly fishing and tenkara fishing. Two weeks ago I received a 12' Iwana and last Saturday an Ayu. I don't expect to catch fish like that but its nice to know that if handled correctly that the Ayu is capable of landing a fish like that if the unexpected fish decides to take your fly.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am

Good fish and congratulations on landing him on 6X tippet. How long did it take to land him? I've read posts of guys running down river to keep a fish like that on the line.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby bwhite » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:37 am

It took about ten minutes to land the fish. He fought hard, but didn't try to make a long run or leave the pool. If he had, I doubt that I could have followed him fast enough. I've had several good-sized fish break my 6X or 7X tippet by making runs. The supple AYU rod really protects light tippets well, but if a large enough fish decides to take off, he's history.
bwhite

Postby wrknapp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Amazing!

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:04 pm

That's a fatty. Congrats on the great fish and successfully pushing the gear towards its limits.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:07 am

That is a truly impressive fish for 6x. Very nicely done!
CM_Stewart

Postby LMarshall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:37 am

Wow... I'm impressed!

Wouldn't have thought 6x would hold up to a fish that big on a tenkara rod!
LMarshall

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Wow, incredible! Really, quite a feat especially in light of my experience in the last few days.

Over the last few days I was helping out with a group that teaches veterans fly-fishing, as they thought tenkara would be the ideal method for a couple of the guys who have little mobility of one arm. The place we went to is called Sugar Creek Ranch. It has several lakes that are connected with running water. The place has ENORMOUS fish cruising around. It's not quite my type of place, but I came to help, fishing was secondary. I was very anxious when I was invited because this place is known for the big fish - not tenkara's cup of tea - and it's lakes, not streams, which is where tenkara really shines and I'd think it may have chance at a large fish. The fish are also HOT! They fight a lot more than I expect from essentially stocked lakes, because these are in essence wild fish, and the water is very clean.

Long story short, I was able to hook 3 fish that were definitely over 20", I'm thinking 23-26". I fought one for about 3 minutes when the tippet broke right at the fly. Of course, I was pissed, especially because I think I was going to land it. The second one my knot slipped after fighting for some 40secs-1min. The third one I had no chance, it kept going, going, going, and to end it he leaped facing away from me, that just snapped the 5x tippet clean! At least I landed all the other fish, in the 10 - 16" range.

So, here is my congratulations to all you big fish guys, even though we all know it's not all about the big fish :)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jbenenson » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:56 am

Frying Pan, huh? Seeing that large fish makes me think that I should try going there sometime.

Daniel, try the Orvis knot (google it). No more breaking of the tippet at the fly and you can leave a small loop to give the fly unrestricted movement.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience