One fly in the So. Fork of American

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

One fly in the So. Fork of American

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:41 pm

After going through a process of researching streams that I thought would be suitable with the high flows we've been seeing recently, and then not being able to leave town in time to drive as far as planned, and then spending Saturday working. I was relieved and happy that on Sunday a good friend, my wife and I got to go fishing. Our idea was to check one of the streams near the South Fork of the American River, near Placerville, but not the American since we thought it would definitely be blown out. Well, we crossed the American on our way up to the other stream and lo-and-behold, the flows were great. Actually, about as low as I had seen them, which made it absolutely tenkara-perfect.

All 3 of us used one fly pattern only, a sakasa kebari (reverse hackle fly), without much concern for the specifics of the fly, so all 3 of us probably had slightly different flies at all times. My friend was more used to switching flies, so trusting his day to one fly was a big step for him. Yes, one fly pattern will work well in our running streams, we all caught plenty of fish and saw many other fish coming for the flies.

The fish were small (8-10"), but very healthy, and very strong. Here are a couple:

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: One fly in the So. Fork of American

Postby Jay K » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Gorgeous fish, and I see you're using your new tamo - nice.
Jay K

Postby rsetina » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Nice to see the American is running lower. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Just to make the point clearer, I added a bit about using one fly only. Yes, one fly will work fine in California too.
It was very nice to never worry about my fly selection, tie one on and leave it there. Had plenty of fish on the line. Very relaxing, effective, fun.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience