Tenkara Down Under!

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Tenkara Down Under!

Postby Starlo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Hi all. I am a very keen angler from Australia and a full time fishing writer/DVD presenter in this country. I was recently introduced to the concept of tenkara fishing thanks to meeting Tom Sadler from Virginia during his visit Down Under. I must say, the notion of simple, direct fly fishing has totally fired my imagination and I have just ordered a Yamame rod and a couple of lines from Tenkara USA... Now I must patiently await their arrival!

While tenkara is obviously best suited to small streams and mostly small fish, I am actually living in Darwin... located in Australia's tropical north. I plan to use my tenkara gear to fish for a number of salt and freshwater "pan fish" in local waters. On the saltwater front I plan to primarily target mullet, balao or ballyhoo (confusingly known as garfish in Australia!) and needlefish. In the fresh I will be aiming primarily at catching archer fish; a fascinating species that is capable of shooting a jet of water from its mouth to knock insects off overhanging vegetation up to three or four feet above the stream! I'm sure I'll encounter other species along the way and they will likely include critters too large to handle on a fixed length of 5X tippet! Such is life... But it's also why I opted for the heavier Yamame rod. In particular, some of the mullet I'm likely to encounter will measure over 20 inches and weigh more than 4 pounds... What do you think my chances are of holding such a fish? Any tips? For example, does anyone incorporate a shock cord section or "bungee" into their tenkara line when tackling larger adversaries, or is that sacrilegious? :D

Finally, would you guys and gals be interested in hearing about my Down Under tenkara exploits when my rod and lines arrive?

Cheers & Tight Lines,
Steve 'Starlo" Starling
Starlo

Re: Tenkara Down Under!

Postby rsetina » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have some pretty tough fishing in store of you Yamame. But it should be fun, I'm sure of that. Just be sure to use 5X tippet and you should be fine. As for posting your adventures, we'd love to see what you get into. I'll be looking for your posts.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Starlo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks for that! I see a lot of people talking about the Ayu rod, but it wasn't listed when I placed my order. :cry: Where does it fit into the overall line-up in terms of length, power ratio, etc?
Starlo

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Starlo,
The Ayu is a softer rod overall, while any of the rods can probably do the job at handling larger fish too, I believe the Yamame, or Amago are the more appropriate tools for that, the Ayu would probably be too soft. So your choice is good. The Ayu will be in stock in 2 weeks.
While there is the "pure tenkara", there is also the adapted tenkara, so far it seems that nothing (except for using live bait) can be said to be sacrilegious on the latter one :)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby TonyB » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Starlo,

Welcome to Tenkara fishing, Tenkara USA is a great forum with lots of information and some excellent debates on gear and techniques.

At the moment, besides myself I know of only four other Australians using Tenkara rods, I think there are more, FlyLife magazine (Winter edition) has just published two articles on Tenkara fishing so I expect Tenkara fishing will become more popular here soon, I know Rod Sloane is interested in trying Tenkara out.

I mainly do backcountry trout fishing in the Snowies, I started Tenkara fishing in January this year and I am well and truly hooked, I love the simplicity of Tenkara fishing, it fits in beautifully with my UL back country bushwalking, on my first proper fish with a Tenkara I caught 50 trout in an afternoon. viewtopic.php?f=32&t=428 , I do not practice traditional Tenkara fishing, my mate Dave and I have been developing our own style, which is proving to be very enjoyable and successful.

I have two Tenkara rods, a Yamame and a UL Backpacking Light Hane, I have not used the Hane yet as it arrived the day after my last trip but hope to put it to good use when the season opens after winter.

I look forward to seeing some of your top end Tenkara videos, while I have yet to have the experience my mate Dave has fished the top end a few times.

Tony
Man responds to the world as he perceives it, not as it is. Borg
TonyB

Postby CreationBear » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 pm

Hey, Tony: I fish out of a backpack exclusively here in the States. Any chance of a thread on the "non-traditional" method you're developing at some point? :)
CreationBear

Postby TonyB » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Hi CreationBear,

CreationBear wrote:Hey, Tony: I fish out of a backpack exclusively here in the States. Any chance of a thread on the "non-traditional" method you're developing at some point? :)

Yes, I have been planning a post in the 'Developing your own tenkara style' thread, will try and do it this afternoon.

The Australian stream season closed last weekend so I now have to wait until October to do more developing.

Tony
Man responds to the world as he perceives it, not as it is. Borg
TonyB

Return to Your Tenkara Experience