New guy from WI

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

New guy from WI

Postby 257ROBT » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:49 pm

I stumbled across this site yesterday evening and was taken back by the simplicity of the while Tenkara system. I was thinking of buying a 4wt fly rod, but now I have decided to get a Tenkara rod instead. Now to decide which one?

Is there anyone here from WI who fishes a Tenkara rod?

Dale
257ROBT

Re: New guy from WI

Postby rsetina » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:34 pm

Let me be the first to welcome you to something you will find fascinating, fun, and a more simple way to enjoy fly fishing. You'll find it more productive too. If I may recommend a rod or two, the Ayu, Ebisu, and Iwana are great rods. I fish the Ayu and Iwana and my wife uses the Ebisu. Hope you fine someone in WI to fish with and get an idea of which rod you'd like to purchase, but if not, there are lots of guys here that can help from long distance. I'll look forward to your first tenkara experience.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby 257ROBT » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:17 pm

I was looking at a 12' Iwana with a #4.5 level line (too bad I can't get the pink line though) for an all-around rod, based on Tenkara Bum's review. I would intend to use it for trout, panfish, and the occasional smallmouth bass. I fish a couple types of trout streams. In central WI the streams where I fish are brushy and maybe 10' to 15' wide with 8" - 10" fish being the norm. In southwest WI the streams are a mix of pasture and wooded and run anywhere from 10' to 25' wide with 12" to 16" being the norm, but a shot at a legit 20"+ isn't out of the question.

Does Tenkara work in still-water? I see all the videos are fishing moving water. Sreamers in moving water?

Dale
257ROBT

Postby rsetina » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:25 pm

257ROBT wrote:Does Tenkara work in still-water? I see all the videos are fishing moving water. Sreamers in moving water?

Dale

You bet it does Dale. By still water I think you mean lakes? My wife and I float tubed Box Lake near Mammoth Lake Ca. and had a great time catching little brook trout. I fished with my Ayu and a small zebra midge and they went crazy for it. I couldn't find the post here so I cut and pasted part of it from another site I post on. There are quite a few posts about lake fishing here.

Ready to hit the trail.

Sherry on the trail. I thought for sure God was with her today and she was going to kick my butt! :lol:

Rick on the trail.

This was the prettiest Brookie I caught today. The fire orange belly was beautiful.

The black mouth was unusual. I don't remember seeing that on a brook trout before.

Two more pretty brook trout.

Most of my fish were caught on my Tenkara Ayu 13 foot rod. That rod is allot of fun to fish with.

Sherry's two fish. The second one still qualifies her for the smallest fish trophy.

Hope this helps!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 am

Dale,

If you want to buy one rod, I think the 12' Iwana will be best suited based on your comments. If you wanted to go with two rods, the 11' Iwana for the brushy central WI streams and the Yamame for the southwestern streams with bigger to much bigger fish (and for the smallies) would be reasonable as well - but certainly not necessary. A 20"+ fish is going to be a handful on any tenkara rod, and more often than not, my money would be on the fish.

You can certainly fish a small streamer or bucktail in moving water. Just keep the rod tip fairly high and twitch the bucktail with very short rod movements. I've caught river smallies that way. It also works in still water.

I think the biggest advantage of tenkara over a regular fly rod and reel is in moving water because you can minimize drag and fish very tricky currents. It's still an awful lot of fun in still water, though. Without the drag, you feel a very direct connection to the fish.
CM_Stewart

Postby JDP1292 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm from WI, plan on purchasing a Tenkara rod soon, don't have it yet though.
JDP1292

Postby 257ROBT » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:40 pm

I placed on order for a 12' Iwana on Tuesday. I can't wait for it to get here. I am fishing the driftless area next week Thursday on my way to Rochester, Mn. Where abouts are you from JDP1292? I am from central WI.

Dale
257ROBT

Postby JDP1292 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 pm

SE WI, germantown.
JDP1292

Postby Nate R » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 pm

I plan on fishing the driftless near Viroqua soon with my 12' Iwana. How has the fishing been for you guys with your Tenkara rods?
Nate R

Return to Your Tenkara Experience