This what is working for me...but why???

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

This what is working for me...but why???

Postby rc51kid » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:43 pm

I am a novice to fishing and tenkara. Last season was the first season that i caught a few real fish. Big for me was 6-8 brook abd brown trout. I cought them end of season mostly with a kabari "grave digger" style on my shadowfire 360.

This year started off super slow. I just wasnt getting anything. Many of the smaller streams here in may early june are still full of sbow melt and cold. Will that slow the fishing?

I was not getting anywhere with the "grave digger" kabari. I thought i would try "sinking" the kabari and see if it helped. It did and i started getting a few fish. I first had good luck with a kabari styled after a "copper john" with a lot of copper behind the feather. I dont know if it helped it sink or made it more visable in the swollen creeks.

Today it really picked up and i had a great day cathing some of my best fish yet. It was a bigger river but still moving very rapidly. I would find pools and drop the fly on the edge or seam of current. I dont know if that is right but it worked.

I still feel like is was getting them all way under the water, not on the surface.

All there flies i used had copper on them. Again i dont know if it was the weight or the color. At first i used kabari i have black head,feather, darkish fluffy body and white tail wrapped in just a twist of copper wire. I think i did the best with this but lost it after a while. I tried the copper john, red head, feather, black bidy and heavy copper tail. Worked great until i lost it also. Then i tried a non tenkara fly. Brass bead head no real "hair" brass colored body with a few hairs out the back. Is it a nymph? Cought a few NICE fish with it incliding my biggest of the day. A FAT 12-14" brown trout.

Today was a great day but i do have a lot of days with almost no activity. I think the river was perfect today. Often i fish a smaller creek down the road that is much calmer. I might only catch one or two fish in a few hours. But i ussualy go after work like from 7-9pm and fish until it gets dark and cold. Do the fish get less active or have a hard time seeing the fly late in the day?

Anyway, any advice or critique of what i am doing would be great!
rc51kid

Return to Your Tenkara Experience