First Tenkara Fish

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Tenkara Fish

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 am

Well it's sad but true. I finally got out with the new Tenkara rod and the first (and only) fish of this maiden voyage was a chub.

Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Re: First Tenkara Fish

Postby LMarshall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:44 am

Congrats on your first tenkara fish!

Chubs and shiners seem to especially like a small deer hair caddis in later summer. The bigger ones can actually be pretty fun, putting up a good fight on a tenkara rod. I know a stream with a good population of chubs and shiners, some over 10in, its fun, but sometimes a little too easy.
LMarshall

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey, it's a tight line. It counts.

Speaking of which, what kind of line is that?
CM_Stewart

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:27 pm

CM_Stewart wrote:Hey, it's a tight line. It counts.

Speaking of which, what kind of line is that?

Well...I left the house in a hurry...and the only light line that I ended up having in my box-o-stuff was 2-lb Stren Hi-Vis Gold. I actually bought it by accident - I thought that it was just plain 2-lb, I didn't realize it was bright yellow (I guess that I should have read the box a little more closely)

I was using a furled line with the Stren mono as the tippet. In that picture it looks much more substantial than 2-lb test for some reason though.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby rsetina » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:45 pm

A fish is a fish. Congrats on your first. Chubs will hold a special place in your heart from now on. Who would have guessed. :D ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:46 pm

rsetina wrote:A fish is a fish. Congrats on your first. Chubs will hold a special place in your heart from now on. Who would have guessed. :D ;)

That's true! I may be the first person to never forget a chub!
Anthony

Postby grampa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Somewhere back in the dark ages, I had some smoked chub - as I recall, it was darn tasty!
grampa

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:16 pm

grampa wrote:Somewhere back in the dark ages, I had some smoked chub - as I recall, it was darn tasty!

I remember watching an outdoors show on TV years ago when I lived in Maine - in this show they caught a mess of chubs, put them on sticks like hotdogs and roasted them over a fire. Then ate them whole and supposedly enjoyed them. :shock:
Anthony

Postby jburge » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:12 pm

I like what Rick said, "A fish is a fish..." I don't know about you, but the fun for me was just feeling the tug, and bringing 'em to the net. Have fun!

John

BTW, nice blog ;-)
jburge

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 pm

I personally love getting the more unexpected fish, it adds to the variety. It's a beautiful fish. Nicely done.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience