Your favorite tenkara stream?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Your favorite tenkara stream?

Postby LMarshall » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:46 am

I had time for a quick trip to my favorite small stream this Saturday with a friend; we got to spend about an hour fishing before it got dark. I managed two nice sized wild brookies, one from a deep pool below a waterfall might have been approaching 12in!

This stream flows off high terrain in MA through a small, deeply cleft valley at a fairly steep gradient. It is largely spring fed; the inflow of groundwater coupled with the heavily forested watershed and riparian habitat make for a great small trout stream (it's about 10 ft wide in most places). Water temps during mid-afternoon in August only reached into the low to mid 60's. The old hemlocks growing on the valley floor provide deep shade making it a cool and pleasant place to fish on a hot day, while preventing any significant undergrowth that would impede casting. The fish are wild, and spooky, though not at all selective.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to fish the whole stream extensively, but I've visited one short section 4 or 5 times, always with good success. It really is a great little stream. It's one thing to be able to fish a stream like this from time to time, and another to have it practically in your backyard like my friend does, the lucky bastard :)

The brookies here have a slightly different coloration than I'm used to seeing, all gray-blue, gold, and white, rather than green, gold, and orange I'm used to seeing. They're beautiful fish:

Trout2.JPG
Trout2.JPG (210.18 KiB) Viewed 3748 times

Let's here about your favorite stream(s).
LMarshall

Re: Your favorite tenkara stream?

Postby erik.ostrander » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:35 pm

My favorite stream is around 15 minutes from my house in Salt Lake City. The stream provides a quick relief from the city and, even though it follows a road, feels secluded. I've caught many trout - browns, 'bows, and brookies up to 14" or so come readily to a fly presented appropriately. My tenkara rod has been a significant improvement; it's almost not fair anymore as I've been able to enjoy catching a fish about every 12 minutes on average.

Here's a 'bow that I held for just a bit before releasing the feisty little guy:
erik.ostrander

Postby LMarshall » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm

erik.ostrander wrote:My favorite stream is around 15 minutes from my house in Salt Lake City. The stream provides a quick relief from the city and, even though it follows a road, feels secluded. I've caught many trout - browns, 'bows, and brookies up to 14" or so come readily to a fly presented appropriately. My tenkara rod has been a significant improvement; it's almost not fair anymore as I've been able to enjoy catching a fish about every 12 minutes on average.

Sounds like a convenient retreat, and productive! Few of the places I fish will give you that kind of catch rate.
LMarshall

Postby rsetina » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:41 pm

There's a little stretch of the Owens River between the power plant and Pleasant Valley Res. where Sherry and I caught fish all day. Some tubing PVR, but most in the river above it. We traded from fishing to photographer and kept catching fish for hours in the same 50 yard stretch of water. In 3 days we must have caught 100 fish. It was one of the best few days of fishing we have ever had.

Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience