Ordered Mine Today 11/14/09

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Ordered Mine Today 11/14/09

Postby df1710tx » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:26 am

Hello All,

According to my original plan I would have purchased a fly rod and reel setup this morning and would be headed out now to begin my fly fishing experience. My plans changed Thursday evening while reading the Nov/Dec issue of American Angler as part of my fly fishing research. On page eight was this article on something called Tenkara and it sounded interesting. I remember showing the picture to my wife and sharing what I learned from the article. Friday I explored the Tenkara website reading about the system, watching videos, and reading the message boards. Tenkara was beginning to look like what I was searching for. My conventional fly fishing research continued and it seemed less and less attractive to me as I learned more about the various requirements of the sport. I decided if I was going to try out fly fishing Tenkara would be my method of choice.

This morning I was out of bed early and on the web researching Tenkara. I narrowed my choices down to the Yamame or the Iwana 12 foot. Most of the fish I will be targeting should be in the 1 to 2 pound weight and a maximum length of 20 inches which tended to favor the Yamame but feedback from Tenkara users convinced me to go for the Iwana 12 foot. I think the Iwana will provide a beginner like me the best experience and if needed I can purchase a Yamame in the future.

Two days ago I'd never seen the word Tenkara and now I will watch the mail this week for the arrival of my new treasure and the beginning of a new fishing experience. I'll still use my spinning/bait casting rods and reels for the big fish but will enjoy the Tenkara for a more natural fishing challenge.

D
df1710tx

Re: Ordered Mine Today 11/14/09

Postby rsetina » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Welcome D,

You are in for a good time with your new Tenkara rod. I've been fly fishing western style rods for years and my wife and I have enjoyed our Tenkara rods for the past few month. There's allot of stuff required, reel, line, backing, etc for western fly fishing as you discovered, and don't get me wrong, I love my fly rods. But once I purchased and fished my Tenkara rod and found how simple it is, and how much gear I was able to shed from my experience, I fell in love with Tenkara.

I don't know if you bought just the rod or if you looked at some of the other products sold on the TenkaraUSA site, but I'd suggest getting at least one of the line holders they sell. It's so much easier to wind the line onto the spool and move up the stream than rolling it onto your hand, which is what I did at first. A furled leader would be a good choice too if you don't have ability to make your own. They are 10.5 feet long and cast a dry fly very nicely giving you a good presentation. Those 3 things in my opinion are a must, besides a box of flies and some 5X and 6X tippet. If you have these items, your set. I'll look forward to you posting about your experiences with your new gear.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby df1710tx » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply to my post. In addition to the Iwana rod I did order the Tenkara line, tippet, and some peacock head caddis. The line holder you mentioned could come in handy so I'll check it out. I visited our local BassPro fly fishing department and picked up a couple of flies that are attractive to the bass in my area and a better net to land the fish with. If my TenkaraUSA order arrives by Friday I can try it out on Sunday as my Saturday is booked. The more I read the more I'm excited about Tenkara. Looking forward to my first catch.

D
df1710tx

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:25 pm

Have fun with your new rod. I have an 11' Iwana and love it.

I do agree with Rick, pick up one of those spools, they do make things much easier (pic of mine attached). As a fellow newbie I still haven't worked out all of the kinks yet - by that I mean I'm clumsy and still end up either spooking fish or ending up in tree limbs - but am also enjoying this style of fishing greatly.

VC 111409 [640x480].JPG
Valley Creek 11/15/09
VC 111409 [640x480].JPG (150.51 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby rsetina » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Troutrageous1,

Have you figured out that by putting the leader into one of the slots on the line holder and twisting the holder you can tighten up the excess leader and it stays put on the spool from the friction on the cork handle? It looks like that's what you did in your photo.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 am

After wrapping the leader on the spool, if you go out one of the slots, and then gently pull the leader towards the center of the spool, a little bit of the leader will slide down between the yellow foam and the edge of the spool, which will hold it securely. For added security, though, when sliding the spool over the rod tip, do it with the slotted side of the spool toward the rod butt. That will keep the tension on the leader towards the center of the spool, and ensure that it does not unwind.
CM_Stewart

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:21 am

I noticed a bit of runaway line in the picture after I posted it. Normally I've taken the advice from previous posts and place the slots toward the butt end, for some reason in this particular pic I absentmindedly didn't. :roll: In any event, the cork handle is a great holder for the spool, makes for very compact transport.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby df1710tx » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Hello All,

My Tenkara order arrived Friday evening but I only had time to open the box and admire the packaging. Late this Saturday afternoon I finally had a chance to examine my new Tenkara system. I'll first say I'm brand new to fly fishing and when I opened the box with my new flies I was kinda shocked as they were much smaller than I expected. When I took a moment to really look at the lures they actually were the size of real flies; the images on the website make them look bigger to a newbie like me. I'm amazed a fish can see them on or below the surface.

I then opened my Tenkara line and Tippet; very different material than I'm used to from my spinning and bait casting equipment. I cut some tippet and tied up a few flies. Finally I opened the round Tenkara rod tube, slid out the nice rod holder and removed my new Iwana. I'd never handled such a light and strong rod before so I had to go try it out. I grabbed my Iwana, line, tippet, and walked down to a little creek in my subdivision.

I attached the line/tippet and extended the sections of the Iwana as I watched it become a 12 foot rod; very impressive. I tried practice casting a few times to see how to load energy into the rod and line. I could barely see the fly at the end of the line but it was getting towards dusk here. I then tried casting into the creek to see how the line behaved, now the rod felt, and if I could track the fly. First impression is this will be fun and can't wait to get my first bite. I'll travel to the duck pond in the next subdivision where I know there are fish and where there are fewer trees to block my casting.

D
df1710tx

Postby rsetina » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Great post D. In my mind I could see how you must have felt opening the box and inspecting your new treasure. I remember getting my first rod I the mail and taking it down to the park to give it a cast. Your post sounded like the experience I had. Good luck on the duck pond. Hope you get into a few fish. I'll look forward to your next post.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby jeffkreager » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Welcome to the club D.

I hope you enjoy your new rod as much as I have enjoyed mine. Of course it's winter here now and my poor rod is just collecting dust. :cry:
jeffkreager

Next

Return to Your Tenkara Experience