More tenkara on the Swift

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

More tenkara on the Swift

Postby Stephen McGowen » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Spent a lovely day on the Swift today. The fishing was great...its the catching that was poor.Trout making head and tail rises to emerging midges. Found that out by wading in below a nice pod and using the aquarium net. Got a net full of what appeared to be punctuation marks. Had some flies that small but somehow only had 6x tippet and it wouldn't fit through the eye of the hooks. Spent the day showing them other stuff and getting those heartbreaking compound refusal rises. I didn't get skunked...I was zeroing in but I just ran out of time. ( that is a friend's favorite excuse). All and all a lovely day on the river.......... enhanced by tenkara.
Almost worth the 5 hr round trip. Ahhh.... it was worth it.
Stephen McGowen

Re: More tenkara on the Swift

Postby rsetina » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:01 pm

Sounds like a good day Stephen. It's so frustrating to have fish look at your fly and just swim off. I have one of those nets that fit around the frame your landing net. Haven't use it yet but looking forward to it. I need to start tying smaller flies for situations like the one you had today. Thanks for the report.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: More tenkara on the Swift

Postby LMarshall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 pm

The Swift is such a nice river, I can understand why you'd drive 5 hours :)
LMarshall

Return to Your Tenkara Experience