First Tenkara Trip

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Tenkara Trip

Postby jburge » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 am

Though I purchased and received my new Ebisu 3 weeks ago, it wasn't until yesterday that I was able to get up to one of my favorite Sierra streams to try it out. This was my first Tenkara experience, and all I can say, is wow, what fun! True, this time of year the bite slows down, but with fish and scenery like this the days don't get any better ;-)

John

Streamside

My first Tenkara rainbow

The canyon on the way out
jburge

Re: First Tenkara Trip

Postby rsetina » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm

Beautiful John. Where were you in the Sierras, east or west side? If you don't mind me asking. Very nice fish too. Sherry, my wife and I, were near Yosemite last week and we found fishing slow, but the weather was great and the water was cold and clear. We had a great time like you did.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jburge » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:41 am

rsetina, I'm on the west side. Since I'm in Sacramento, it's not hard for me to drive an hour or so to get up to some nice mid elevation streams--north fork, south fork, and silver fork of the American. And yep, fishing was definitely slower. Water temps were cold (boy was I glad for my waders), but the sun felt good.

I do fish on the eastern side of the Sierras--Mammoth, John Muir Wilderness, Golden Trout Wilderness--but I have to build in some extra time to get to those wonderful places. And you can never go wrong in Yosemite. If you hadn't had the opportunity to fish Tuolumne meadows, it can be a kick with those feisty little brookies ;-)

John
jburge

Postby rsetina » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:30 am

Next time we're up there we'll have to make it a point to head to the meadows and look for the brookies. I see it's supposed to warm up again today. 65 to 79 degrees in a week. I wish I was there this week too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience