New Iwana Owner Experience

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

New Iwana Owner Experience

Postby troutrageous1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:56 pm

Ordered an 11' Iwana (& some other goodies) on Monday night, got them on Friday. Considering they went from CA to PA in less than a week via USPS, I think that's a good e-commerce experience.

Opening the package last night, I was really taken aback by how delicate these rods actually are, especially toward the tip. I know you say it on the website quite a bit, but until I saw it in person...well I was just surprised. The rod tube & sleeve, the Tenkara overview/instructions that came with the line - wow, all top notch. If some "western" fly-fishing companies would just take a hint from you, perhaps it wouldn't be so intimidating for some to try. Kudos Daniel.

The weather today has been unfortunately pretty crummy, extremely overcast and very breezy, also looks like a storm is coming through the area tonight so I decided no to take the rod out on the water today. That being said I did do some practice casting in the backyard - wind be damned. The softness of the fly landing on the "water" (my lawn) was amazing, I can't see how even the spookiest of trout will see this coming! Was surprised that within minutes I was making fairly accurate casts.

Casting in the wind was actually pretty neat. When there was an extended gust, I'd just lift the rod up and let the wind do the "casting" for me. Can't do that with western fly line.

Hoping things clear up enough overnight to get out tomorrow morning.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Re: New Iwana Owner Experience

Postby grampa » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

You'll love it when you take it on the water - you can get pin-point casts, no drag floats, and a fantastic "mano-a-mano" feel with the fish!

Welcome to the club!
grampa

Postby rsetina » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Hope things clear there in PA. Let us know how the day turns out if you get a chance to go fishing.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby ConorUK » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 pm

best of luck with your first outing.
ConorUK

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks all, rain never did clear up enough to get out last Sunday. Supposed to be nice this weekend, I'm excited.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
troutrageous1

Postby troutrageous1 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:38 am

Finally got a line wet.

Went to Valley Creek today (Valley Forge National Park) and tried out my Iwana.
First off, I've never fished a furled line/leader before and love the way it casts, not sure if it will be exactly the same on western-fly gear but I'm going to pick up a furled leader for my 3-wt. (I know, blasphemy!) Anyway, back to Tenkara...

I was really spending much of the morning getting used to the rod and the best way to move from spot-to-spot (mainly navigating the bankside trees), to fold down, not fold down, etc... That little spool is quite handy.

Well, at the end of the day, only caught one - but I'm happy. It was my first at Valley. It's a tiny guy, but you wouldn't have known it the way the Iwana reacted. What a fun way to fish!

Here's some pics, not the best quality, but it shows the trout, the hole it came from, as well as a shot of a fishing a different section of the creek.

Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
troutrageous1

Postby LMarshall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 am

troutrageous1 wrote:Finally got a line wet.

Went to Valley Creek today (Valley Forge National Park) and tried out my Iwana.
First off, I've never fished a furled line/leader before and love the way it casts, not sure if it will be exactly the same on western-fly gear but I'm going to pick up a furled leader for my 3-wt. (I know, blasphemy!) Anyway, back to Tenkara...

I was really spending much of the morning getting used to the rod and the best way to move from spot-to-spot (mainly navigating the bankside trees), to fold down, not fold down, etc... That little spool is quite handy.

Well, at the end of the day, only caught one - but I'm happy. It was my first at Valley. It's a tiny guy, but you wouldn't have known it the way the Iwana reacted. What a fun way to fish!

Here's some pics, not the best quality, but it shows the trout, the hole it came from, as well as a shot of a fishing a different section of the creek.

Cool, glad you enjoyed it! My first tenkara trout was probably about that big, they really do put up fight on the Iwana (I have the 12 foot model as well).
LMarshall

Postby rsetina » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 am

Congratulations on your first fish on the Iwana. It's fun, isn't it?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience