Yamame rod in action

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Yamame rod in action

Postby LarryTullis » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 pm

:) I just spent a very enjoyable 2 hours after work on a local stream (Ogden River, Utah) using my new Yamame rod (third time out with it) and furled, tapered line/leader. It's an urban area and fairly heavily fished. I purposely fished a stretch that had 2 people fishing about 1/2 hour ahead of me just to see how effective I could be with the longer rod in tough conditions for wild, educated trout. Was very pleased to hook about 23 fish and landed 18 of them from 8-18 inches (most were sub-14"). On most of the runs I figured that I caught about 30% more fish than normal, just because of the longer rod and the drift control it gave me. I nymphed with 2 small attractor nymphs and a small strike indicator but probably could have done about as well Czech style nymphing (w/out indicator). With little or no false casts, my flies were in the water longer...meaning in front of fish more! I think I'm hooked!
LarryTullis

Re: Yamame rod in action

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Nice!
I love that you tested it the way you did. I have been trying to prove the common knowledge in Japan that tenkara normally outfishes western fly-fishing 5-1. But, since I'm always alone, it's always counterfactual, that is, I would never know if I really caught that many fish because of tenkara or because it was a great day with the right fly and perfect conditions. Though, I really get the feeling tenkara is extremelly effective and am glad to read about your experience.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to Your Tenkara Experience