Urban Tenkara

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Urban Tenkara

Postby LMarshall » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 pm

I had a blast yesterday fishing some ponds in Worcester's parks. I never would have thought to fish these ponds if it weren't for the fact I had to walk through the park last week on an errand and spotted a few fish, some painted turtles, and even a cormorant, all in the middle of Massachusetts' second largest city, I was surprised to say the least. So I figured what the hell, I'd give it a shot after class someday.

These are shallow ponds in old Olmstead-style city parks. They're fairly overrun with Canada geese, so the water is fowled beyond belief, but somehow the fish hang on. I spent about two hours fishing, and caught what felt like an enormous number of 4-6 inch crappie, bluegill, and even a few small bass.

I've never fished in a place that public before, so that made for a unique experience. Fishing is really something universal, and that becomes all the more clear when you try fishing in a place as diverse a place as Worcester. I found myself answering a lot of questions, especially from kids. The interest and fascination they showed with fishing was really amazing, and I had a lot of fun giving little casting demonstrations, and showing them some of my flies since I got sooo many questions about bait.
LMarshall

Re: Urban Tenkara

Postby rsetina » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Sounds like you had a great time. Aren't kids the greatest? I never get tired of answering question about fishing. We have a pond in the L.A. area that's like the one you described. Lots of birds and the flows are almost zero.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Your Tenkara Experience