First Fish on a Tenkara Rod

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: First Fish on a Tenkara Rod

Postby rsetina » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Hey grampa,

Glad you like the trip photos. We'd love to fish the WF or EF with you. We'll have to set something up. We just have to be careful up there since there's been several break ins on the WF. A friend of mine was up there recently and said there were "puddles of glass" everywhere in the parking lot. He didn't have any problems, but we'd have to leave anything of value at home and/or out of sight.

To finish off the trip to Mammoth Lakes we decided to fish Hot Creek for a couple of hours to let the traffic die down north of L.A. We only took our Tenkara rods and our fly boxes. It was nice not having all the extra stuff you really don't need.

Me fishing with my Ayu.

I caught a 12 inch rainbow and a 10 inch brown in almost the same section of the river.

And Sherry got a very nice rainbow of about 13 inches just South of Hot Creek Ranch's boundary.

Both of the rainbows were of respectable size and it was very easy to land them. Not any more difficult than using a western style fly rod. ;) I'm not sure if it would be feasible to make a longer rod than a 13 footer, but if I'd of had just 2 more feet of rod I could have reached the other side of the river where a few fish were holding. Is it possible to make a longer rod for larger rivers? That would be 8-).
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rsetina » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:02 pm

LMarshall wrote:Awesome!!

Brook trout sure are pretty, probably my favorite fish to catch, partly for that reason. I know they've been stocked extensively out west, but I identify them so strongly with the landscape out here on the east coast that it's a little striking to see them out in CA.

Any thoughts on 12' vs. 13' rods?

I like the longer rod unless you're fishing a brushy creek. I fished Hot Creek today and even with a 13 foot Ayu I'd of like to have had a couple more feet of rod and tippet to reach the other bank.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby ConorUK » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:36 am

Rick,
great photos, so many species of trout on a pretty stream in some fairly arid looking land!
Conor
ConorUK

Postby rsetina » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 am

I would say the Bishop area is considered the upper high desert. Most of the vegetation is scrub brush. It's dry most of the year and snow melt from the 10,000 to nearly 12,000 foot mountains is the majority of the water that runs off to the rivers and creeks. It's a beautiful area though and I'd like to retire.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby LMarshall » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:29 pm

rsetina wrote:I like the longer rod unless you're fishing a brushy creek. I fished Hot Creek today and even with a 13 foot Ayu I'd of like to have had a couple more feet of rod and tippet to reach the other bank.

Thanks for your thoughts, one of these days I'll probably get a rod for fishing bigger rivers. At the moment I'm stuck between the beefier Yamame (chasing smallmouth would be fun), and the longer Ayu. As a broke college student this isn't something I should be worrying about :roll:
LMarshall

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 pm

LMarshall,

Those are the two rods I own. I'd like to get an 11 foot Iwana but I have to get permission first and I don't think Sherry, my wife, is will to let me get one yet since the Yamane arrived just last week. :lol:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby LMarshall » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 pm

rsetina wrote:Those are the two rods I own. I'd like to get an 11 foot Iwana but I have to get permission first and I don't think Sherry, my wife, is will to let me get one yet since the Yamane arrived just last week. :lol:

I have the 12 foot Iwana, it's a great rod. I don't know how the action compares to the other rods, but it's fairly fast, and extremely light. I find the sensitivity of this rod to be phenomenal, especially with the 10# fluoro level line I tried out today.
LMarshall

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 pm

I haven't tried a level line yet. I started making my own furled leaders and like fishing them. If only I could make my own Tenkara Rod. then the only thing I'd be fishing with that I didn't make would be the tippet. :lol: Maybe on the net trip I'll use level line and see how I like it and how it casts for me.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby aidanparte » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:42 pm

I caught my first (three) trout last week on my new 13ft Ayu on a tiny stream here in Massachusetts. My first was a 3-inch brookie, followed by a 10-inch brookie and then another 3-incher! The biggest fish took a Stimulator, the others a Waterhen Bloa.

Great fun!

Aidan
aidanparte

Postby LMarshall » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:57 pm

aidanparte wrote:I caught my first (three) trout last week on my new 13ft Ayu on a tiny stream here in Massachusetts. My first was a 3-inch brookie, followed by a 10-inch brookie and then another 3-incher! The biggest fish took a Stimulator, the others a Waterhen Bloa.

Great fun!

Aidan

I remember my first tenkara brookies quite well :) Nice to see another New Englander getting into tenkara!
LMarshall

PreviousNext

Return to Your Tenkara Experience