Saltwater Bays & Harbors?

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Saltwater Bays & Harbors?

Postby grampa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Our school's undergrad department had a retreat this weekend - filled up a hotel on the bank of a local saltwater harbor.

It never occurred to me to bring my Tenkara gear, but as I was watching some of the local old guys fishing for perch and mackerel on the banks and quays, I realized I had missed a great opportunity.

With a few shrimp patterns and some small streamers, I'll bet you could have a lot of fun with those perch, mackerel and other saltwater panfish.

My only question now is, Has anyone tried it? What was it like? What flies do you recommend? Any other tips?
grampa

Re: Saltwater Bays & Harbors?

Postby Morgan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 am

I briefly considered taking my Ebisu out for what we call "snappers" on Long Island -- small bluefish in the 6 to 10 inch range -- but decided against it. If I had an Iwana I'd have tried it. (Should say WHEN I get an Iwana.)
Morgan

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 pm

Morgan, don't let not having an Iwana stop you. Snapper blues would be a lot of fun on an Ebisu, too. Besides, if you drive, I'll let you use my Iwana (and Ayu, for that matter). ;)
CM_Stewart

Postby grampa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Guess I better learn how my camera works! I'll get down to the Long Beach harbor one of these days, and see what can be done with tenkara there. Still open to any hints or tips for saltwater panfish! :?:
grampa

Return to Your Tenkara Experience