Euro Nymphing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Euro Nymphing

Postby davebanker » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:02 pm

I struggle as a nymph fisherman. I really do. I miss takes all the time and my line control is poor. Tenkara, however, has really changed my opinion about nymphing. The past three times out I've just killed it. Multiple fish and bigger fish. The close connection and sensitive tip make detecting strikes so much easier. My method has been to use a large beaded stone fly as the middle fly with smaller beadheads (copper john, hare's ear, etc.) on the ends, with 5x flouro tippet as the leader. I gently lead the flies through the seams as opposed to a dead drift. The downside to this method are the inevitable tangles. If you haven't give this method a try, you should, it really is a blast.
davebanker

Re: Euro Nymphing

Postby rsetina » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for the tip. My wife and I are heading to the eastern sierras on Monday morning and it will be her first time using her Ebisu. She said to me this morning how she's looking forward to fishing with it. I especially want to try it on Hot Creek with all the weeds. Tenkara control should be very useful there.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby spike188 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the techniques. I haven't played much with nymphing. It's so much fun with dry flys. I'm planning to try your 2 fly rig and see how it goes. Sounds like we are probably fishing the same neighborhoods. What streams are you fishing? I've never seen another Tenkara fisherman in these parts. I kind of enjoy the strange looks from people when they try to figure out what kind of rig I'm carrying. I imagine that most who see me walking back to my car with my rod collapsed think I must have fallen and broken my fly rod.
spike188

Postby Jerry in SC » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:37 pm

A version of the Czech nymph technique would perfect for Tenkara.
Jerry in SC

Postby sholgate » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:09 pm

How much distant would you recommend between flies?
Steven Holgate
West Lawn, PA

Teacher and Trout Bum
sholgate

Return to Your Tenkara Experience