21" Wild Brown on the Iwana

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

21" Wild Brown on the Iwana

Postby cmartin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:10 pm

I have been having a blast with the last couple of weeks hopper fishing with the Iwana. Last Sunday I was on a small stream in North Central PA. This upper section of stream is only 15' wide at most but it has several larger pools which alternate from small open meadow to woods. I was having fun catching smaller brookies and browns on a #12 bullet head hopper. I came to a long shallower pool about 50' long. I made a cast straight across to a downed tree. Boy was I shocked to see a large brown veer out and suck the hopper right down. I set the hook and all hell broke loose. The fish had me running up stream and down twice. After about 5 minutes It made one more run before I was able to beach him on the bank. My biggest wild fish to date. No camera with me :x If it would have been bigger water he would have broke me off for sure but since he was really limited as to where he could run I was able to control him with the Iwana. What a rush. I think I will be selling most of my other rods and reels except for my large stream outfit. I think most of the streams in PA can be fished successfully with the Tenkara method.

C Martin
cmartin

Re: 21" Wild Brown on the Iwana

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:28 pm

WOW!

I thought I had a handful with a 17 incher on an Iwana.

If that was last Sunday (and today is Wednesday), your heart rate should just about be back to normal now.
CM_Stewart

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Cool! Very amazing. But,....all these large fish with not pictures :)
Well, it's in the memory, and that's what counts....why carry more than needed?

Nice going!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Way to go Mr. Martin. Sounds like you had the time of your life that day. Congratulations!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby rvrgzr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Sounds like a very enjoyable experience. And another reason to carry a small digital camera.
rvrgzr

Return to Your Tenkara Experience