Two-pound smallmouth

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Two-pound smallmouth

Postby Morgan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Nope, didn't land it -- but only because I gave up too soon and grabbed the line. Tippet popped right away. Had I had enough patience to lead the bass to my net, I am certain I would have landed it -- on 6X tippet!
My new Ebisu 6:4 performed beautifully on the East Branch of the Delaware River (upstream of Pepacton Reservoir.) I caught a couple of average trout in spots I may not have been able to reach with my 5-weight. It wasn't really the right water for tenkara; trout rose in a couple of spots I simply couldn't reach, and I was targeting trout when the smallmouth picked up my Czech nymph. It was a blast nonetheless.
Morgan

Re: Two-pound smallmouth

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Congratulations on hooking I to a bass. I'm thinking of buying a Yamane for bass fishing.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:59 am

Don't know about you, but I always seem to remember the big ones that get away better than most of the ones that I actually land. I suspect you'll remember that fish for a long, long time.

In that sense, very nice!
CM_Stewart

Postby Morgan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 am

Chris, you're right. It's the ones that get away that we remember.

I really was impressed by the rod. I wouldn't target large smallmouth with it, but it's nice to know it has the backbone to handle a good-sized trout or bass.
Morgan

Return to Your Tenkara Experience