Momentary Connections and setting the hook

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Re: Momentary Connections and setting the hook

Postby Jerry in SC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 am

davebanker wrote:I do notice that I tend to really scope out where the lies are before just blindly start casting.

Same here, a little more thought before casting...
Jerry in SC

Postby Derrick » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:09 pm

I've been fishing the Iwana and now the Ebisu for a while now and I would have to say my hook up/landing rate is higher with a western fly rod. I fish strictly barbless and my hook are always sharpened before before they are cast.

I've found that there are more chances of losing a fish with a western fly rod because you tend to be working with more line and less rod. Well with the exception of stripping in a streamer.
Derrick

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 pm

davebanker wrote:Took the Yamame 5:5 out for a Euro-nymphing trip this past week. It was very productive and I really appreciated the ability to reach over the faster water and pin-point likely holds in the seam. I ended up switching over to dries for the walk down stream to the car. One thing I have noticed is that it seems like I am having more "momentary connections," where I have the fish on for about two or three shakes and then the fish is off. Has anyone else noticed this or I am reading into this? Also, on the dry fly takes it seems like I'm only hooking about 25% of the takes. I will definitely sharpen my hooks but I'm wondering if there's a different method to setting the hook with such a sensitive tip? Thanks.

I miss about 30% of the fish that strike at my fly (have caught at least 50 trout from 3" to 14" on my Ebisu) Most of my fishing has been done on streams that are step across with tall grass that borders the stream. Undercut banks and water level at least 1' below the bottom of the grass. Many times the cast lays the line on the grass going into the water, some the line is nearly vertical. With this sort of stream side, often I am listening for a strike, you are almost too late with that scenario. Other times, it's rocket lightning fish that are racing for the fly faster than normal, you sometimes miss a few of those until you get the timing right...

What I'm getting at is that I'm catching fish.

As a matter of fact, with a Tenkara rod, I almost feel like I am cheating. Combined with a stealthy approach, you are deadly, like a ninja. Gin clear and skinny, alighting a fly, on the other hand, it's like Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all.

But I'm catching.

As I gain months and years of experience, I will learn more about the system and will still miss some strikes. With a fly rod, I miss fewer but I am not catching as many fish in small streams as I do with a Tenkara rod. The Tenkara rod is a choice, not a substitution for a fly rod for me. Fly rods are versitile, the Tenkara rod is specialized.

I wouldn't worry about missing some fish, worry if you miss them one after the other, no, don't worry, just check out the fly, the tippet and try to keep a tighter line and anticipate, make sure your hook is sharp as possible.

Nice.
Adam Trahan

Previous

Return to Your Tenkara Experience