Kayak flyfishing

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Kayak flyfishing

Postby hjamident » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Fellow Flyfishers,
I am wondering how many of you are flyfishing out of a kayak and how many have used the Tenkara rods to cast. Daniel was so kind enough to let my try the AYU and the EBISU out on the pond [at the fishing club we both belong to]. Both of them felt very nice in my hand, but I still don't know how it would feel from a kayak. Thanks.
hjamident

Re: Kayak flyfishing

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 am

Take Daniel kayaking! What's the worst that could happen?

Oh, wait, we already know that. See the first photo here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92

:lol:
CM_Stewart

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Oh! That's what I was missing there, I should have been on a kayak, not in the water! :lol:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jeffkreager » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:25 pm

I've been working for the U.S. Defense Department on a top secret project called "The Tenkara Project". The purpose of the project is to guard our trout streams against Taliban invasion. I have received clearance to reveal our prototype.

Ladies and gentleman, I introduce to you the USS Tenkara.

In the bottom of that thing lies a Yamane.
jeffkreager

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 am

jeffkreager wrote:In the bottom of that thing lies a Yamane.

Aha! A stealthyak. The prominently displayed spinning rod and fly rod are just to give the fish a false sense of security.

Very clever.
CM_Stewart

Postby mhackney » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am

I gotta get me one o' them stickers for my yak.

And just because I know someone will ask, YES - you can fish tenkara style from a sit-on-top kayak too! It works great. :)

The beauty of fishing from a kayak is that you can get to the fish. I even tried striped bass fishing with my Yamame just off Ipswich, MA earlier this year. Fortunately, I didn't catch anything :)

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Postby jeffkreager » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 am

The photo was taken in the middle of a 2 day solo kayak trip. You can't tell but the kayak is loaded down with tent, sleeping bag, food, clothes and of course my weapons of choice.

The river forks where this photo was taken and just out of the picture where the logs go into the water was a tight spot where only a Tenkara rod would work. Caught a couple small trout there. I'm thinking I had my Tenkara rod in hand when the photo was taken. Just a couple miles down stream it was strictly smallmouth water in deep pools. That's the reason for the spin tackle.

I've had luck with bluegills and bass fishing from my kayak but trout are a little more skittish of an approaching boat.
jeffkreager

Postby hjamident » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:54 pm

Jeff,
What have your experience with the Yamane when you are casting from the kayak. Is it the right length and action? What is your technique in casting the line from a sitting position? What type of fish you have been catching with it? Thanks.
hjamident

Return to Your Tenkara Experience