First Tenkara Trout

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

First Tenkara Trout

Postby martin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 am

I saw Daniels interview paflyfish.com and became very intrigued with Tenkara.
I ordered 2 rods (Iwana and a Yamane) for myself and my 10year old son. The arrived in 2days. They are very well built with a nice rod tube to boot.

I found out that if you want to introduce a child to flyfishing these rods are a must. I took my son and a nephew to a pond is loaded with slab size hybrid bluegills. My nephew said that he really didnt like to fish. When he saw my son landing a fish on every cast he reluctantly tried it. Soon he was landing fish after fish. They both fished for hours until dark.

I finally got out this weekend to try the Yamane on a favorite small stream of mine in North Central PA. I had my son and both of my nephews in toe. It is very hard if not impossible to fish a small stream with 3 small boys throwing rocks in the water but I did manage about 5 minutes of peace while they were distracted. I rigged up by just using a straight 12' pc of 4x mono with a size 12 czech nymph. I was able to cast and easily reach across the fast water and drop the fly right in a deep pocket across the stream. On the 3rd cast the drift was interrupted by an amber flash and nice bend in the rod. A nice fat 13" brookie with a Black Heron slash across his right flank. My first Tenkara trout. Good stuff. 5 more casts and again bam. Another big fish took but was lost a few seconds into the fight. Alas my solitude was
gone when a rock thrown by my nephew flew into the pool I was fishing. I ran into another flyfisherman on the hike out. When he saw the Yamane he gave me sideways look and asked if that was a spinning rod. He had been out all day and had not gotten anything. He blamed it on the high water. I explained to him about Tenkara and He couldnt believe that I had caught anything with that setup.

I now believe more than ever that the long rod is a much better tool than the short rod. Fly line is not your friend on a small stream. The reach and drift control is fantastic.

I am very happy with my purchase. Counting the days for when I will be on stream again.(Alone)

Thank you Daniel

Best Regards

C Martin
martin

Re: First Tenkara Trout

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:50 pm

martin wrote:I rigged up by just using a straight 12' pc of 4x mono with a size 12 czech nymph.

Now that it is interesting. I have gradually been trying lighter and lighter lines to find the lightest line I could cast. On your first time to the stream, you've gone way beyond anything I've used.

I would think that casting that setup would be very jerky. Was it? And, were you able to accurately cast where you intended?

Now I can see that I'm going to have to try it, and gradually try lighter and lighter flies to see what is the lightest fly I can cast with a weightless line! I suspect my most productive fly would work. It is Sawyer's killer bug, which is basically just two layers of copper wire (used instead of tying thread) and three layers of a thin wool yarn, tied off at the bend with the copper wire. Since the wool is heavy once it's wet, and the copper wire adds a bit of weight, it might be sufficient. If it's jerky though, I'll pretty quickly go back to my fluorocarbon line, which casts as smoothly as a fly line.

Thanks for your report. Now I'm counting the days, too.

I would suggest you add at least a bit of 5x or 6x "tippet" to your 4x "line" though. Eventually you'll snag on the bottom or in a tree where you can't reach the line, and will have to pull backwards on the rod to break off the fly. The tension required to break 4x will tend to jam the sections together to the point that it might be hard to collapse the rod.
CM_Stewart

Postby martin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 am

CM

I was cursing myself because I had forgot to take the furled leader out of my fishing vest and put it in my backpack, so I was forced to use just mono. I tied a perfection loop in one end and looped it on the same way you would the furled leader. I was very surprised at how easy and smooth it cast. Its perfect for small stream Czech nymphing. The fly cut right to the bottom. I dont know if I would use that setup for shallower runs but it sure worked great for the deeper pockets and chutes. I am looking forward to experimenting more with 2 and 3 fly rigs. My mind is spinning with possibilities. I plan on selling my 2 other short small stream flyrods. I hope to post other reports with pics soon.

CMartin
martin

Postby CM_Stewart » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Well, I tried the very light line, but I didn't like it. Write-up here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=122
CM_Stewart

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 pm

martin wrote: I plan on selling my 2 other short small stream flyrods.

Alright!!! :P

I haven't used my reels in a long time...considering selling them too. Maybe we have to start a section for used "Western fly-fishing gear sale"
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jeffkreager » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Kudos to Martin for taking 3 young boys fishing.

I have several thousand dollars in fly rods and reels collecting dust myself. Ebay?
jeffkreager

Return to Your Tenkara Experience