Fishing the Sierras

Trip reports, findings, events, and general experiences with tenkara fishing. Tell other tenkara enthusiasts about your tenkara experience

Fishing the Sierras

Postby jeffkreager » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:21 pm

My boys and I spent a couple days in California fishing the Sierras and had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with Daniel. Daniel is truly a master at his craft and a great person to fish with. The highlight of the trip was a monster brown caught by Daniel. Attached are a few photos.

jeffkreager

Re: Fishing the Sierras

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Looks like you had a good time. I'd like to meet Daniel one day. Fishing the Sierras and meeting the man who brought Tenkara to the US. That's a good trip.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:05 am

I had a terrific time too.

Jeff was just too kind to say that him and his boys really showed me off on the small stream I'm pictured with my foot on the log. Actually, now that I look at it, I believe that's where my impatient hand missed a little trout that had its mouth wide open to grab my fly!!!

By the way, anyone here with experience with small goldens? We need confirmation these are golden trout. I know we weren't too far from golden territory (sorry, the pictures are not very sharp, I messed up the settings in the camera before this shot)...
Attachments
P7200073.JPG
P7200073.JPG (82 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
P7200063.JPG
P7200063.JPG (76.37 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 am

Sorry to say but that's not a Golden. It may be a hybrid but I'm not sure about that either. We fished the lower sierras inside the GTW for golden trout. Here are a couple of photos.

You can see they are distinctly a golden color. I have seen larger golden trout that have lost some of the golden color but when they are that small they do have that gold color. From my experience you'll find golden trout in small creeks in the GTW that are literally 3 feet wide. I've never seen one caught in a larger river but that's not to say you wont.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby jeffkreager » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Great pics Rick. There appears to be a subtle difference. Thanks for the info.
jeffkreager

Return to Your Tenkara Experience